LDS Church details practice, history of polygamytags: mormons, polygamy
SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a document about plural marriage on its website Monday.
The LDS Church released a document detailing the history of plural marriage in the religion. The document did not mention Friday's ruling that a law's language prohibiting polygamous cohabitation in Utah as unconstitutional.
Since 1904, the Church has prohibited its members from practicing plural marriage.
Approximately half of Utah territory residents in 1857 experienced life in a polygamous household, according to the Church. By 1870, that number was reduced to 25 to 39 percent and it continued to decrease in the next 20 years....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."