LDS Church details practice, history of polygamytags: mormons, polygamy
SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a document about plural marriage on its website Monday.
The LDS Church released a document detailing the history of plural marriage in the religion. The document did not mention Friday's ruling that a law's language prohibiting polygamous cohabitation in Utah as unconstitutional.
Since 1904, the Church has prohibited its members from practicing plural marriage.
Approximately half of Utah territory residents in 1857 experienced life in a polygamous household, according to the Church. By 1870, that number was reduced to 25 to 39 percent and it continued to decrease in the next 20 years....
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90