Final Demolition Starts at Detroit Housing ProjectBreaking News
tags: Detroit, housing projects
The final phase of demolition began Monday for a well-known vacant Detroit housing project that once was home to boxer Joe Louis and members of the Supremes.
Crews started using heavy equipment to take down four 15-story towers that are part of the former Frederick Douglass Homes, better known as the Brewster projects.
Louis once lived at the project near downtown Detroit, as did members of the Supremes before the musical trio became vital voices of the Motown sound. Other demolition work began at the site last year.
The demolition is being paid for through $6.5 million in federal funds....
comments powered by Disqus
- Samuel Chase: The one Supreme Court justice who has ever been impeached
- Maryland Commission Sets Out To Investigate State's Lynching History
- How Joe Biden has Historically Played a Role in Mass Incarceration in the United States
- Crazy Horse Monument to Native American History is Built on Controversy
- William F. Buckley Jr. vs. James Baldwin: A racial showdown on the American dream