Hong Kong's Huge Vigil For Tiananmen SquareBreaking News
tags: Tiananmen Square
Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong joined a candlelight vigil on Wednesday to mark the 25th anniversary of China's military suppression of protests in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Residents held candles to remember the victims at Victoria Park, turning the six football fields into an ocean of flickering light.
More than 180,000 people joined the gathering, according to organisers, although police put the crowd at fewer than 100,000.
comments powered by Disqus
- John Hume, Nobel Laureate for Work in Northern Ireland, Dies at 83
- Statue of White Woman Holding Hatchet and Scalps Sparks Backlash in New England
- 'We Always Knew What It Stood For': Small Texas Town Torn Over Its Confederate Statue
- UNC Tenured Faculty Tell Students to Stay Home Amid COVID Concerns: 'It Is Not Safe for You to Come to Campus'
- Counting Down with #19Suffrage Stories: 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Women Survivors of the Atomic Bombs
- How White Supremacy Infected Christianity and the Republican Party
- Reaganland Is the Riveting Conclusion to a Story That Still Isn’t Over (Review)
- Returning From War, Returning to Racism
- Remembering Our Friend and Colleague, Professor David H. Bensman