Rare British Guiana stamp sets record at New York auctiontags: British Guiana stamp
It took only two minutes for the British Guinea one-cent magenta stamp to be sold to an anonymous bidder,
The stamp had been sold three times before, each time setting the auction record for a single stamp.
It measures just 1in by 1in (2.5cm by 3.2 cm), and had not been publicly exhibited since 1986.
Sotheby's auction house said that apart from setting a new world record price for a stamp, it was also the most expensive item by weight and size ever sold.
comments powered by Disqus
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I