Mormon church publishes photos in push toward transparencyBreaking News
tags: mormons, LDS
The Mormon church took another step toward transparency Tuesday with the first published pictures of a small sacred stone it believes founder Joseph Smith used to help translate a story that became the basis of the religion.
The new photos peel back another layer of secrecy for a relatively young world religion that has come under scrutiny for some of its beliefs as its numbers swelled in the Internet age.
The pictures of the smooth, egg-sized rock are part of a new book that also contains photos of the first printer’s manuscript of the Book of Mormon. Officials with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unveiled the photos at a news conference in Salt Lake City.
comments powered by Disqus
- Comfort From a 102-Year-Old Who has Lived Through a Flu Pandemic, the Depression and WWII
- The Supreme Court’s Disturbing Order to Effectively Disenfranchise Thousands of Wisconsin Voters
- Another Virus on the Loose: Coronavirus and White Supremacy Make a Terribly Toxic Combination
- Time For The Dems To Earn The Hatred Of The Wealthy And Connected
- A Lesson on Voting Rights—And Suppression—During a Pandemic that Students Won’t Learn in Textbooks