Some Places Are Celebrating A Different Holiday On Columbus DayBreaking News
Related Link Columbus holiday still draws controversy
As Americans celebrate Columbus Day on Monday, a number of places are moving to recognize a different holiday.
Seattle and Minneapolis are among the locations that will celebrate "Indigenous Peoples' Day" this year as part of an effort to recognize the marginalization of indigenous groups, who were already here when Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas and were nearly wiped out afterwards. The resolutions, which passed for the first time in both cities last year, will not replace Columbus Day, but rather recognize indigenous communities alongside Columbus.
comments powered by Disqus
- Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham on the AP Af-Am Studies Controversy
- 600 African American Studies Faculty Sign Open Letter in Defense of AP African American Studies
- Organization of American Historians Statement on AP African American Studies
- Historians on DeSantis and the Fight Over Black History
- How the Right Got Waco Wrong