Now ISIS is destroying gravestones in MosulBreaking News
tags: Mosul, ISIS, ISIL
There are reliable reports coming from Mosul all stating that armed groups if the so-called “Islamic State or ISIS” have begun a determined and systematic campaign to destroy all grave stones (Shahid) in all the cemeteries of the city. Mosul is well known for its historic cemeteries that numbered over 17 including those of Bab al-Maidan, al-Mishahda, Sheikh Hanash, Bab al-Tob, al-Kawazin, Nabi Sheet, Imam Abdul-Rahman and Sheikh Fathi. Christian cemeteries are included too. ISIS is also using prisoners to destroy as many graves as possible as a new form of redemption.
The destruction of these cemeteries, some of them go back to more than 800 years, is another great loss of cultural heritage and a crime against humanity perpetrated by fanatics who seem to make it their top priority to erase all material evidence of culture, history and memory.
comments powered by Disqus
- Jefferson Davis Memorial Chair Stolen from Alabama Cemetery Found in New Orleans, 2 Arrested
- It’s Time to Reframe Voting Rights in the Courts
- Who are 'White Lies Matter’? Meet the Group that Says it Turned a Stolen Confederate Memorial into a Toilet
- San Francisco Schools Will Keep Jefferson, Lincoln and Washington Names
- The Man Who Waited 50 Years for This Moment
- Washington History Seminar – Until Justice Be Done: America’s First Civil Rights Movement, from the Revolution to Reconstruction
- Washington History Seminar – Stalin: Passage to Revolution, Monday, April 12
- 2021 Winners of the Guggenheim Fellowship are Announced
- Devoted to the Deaf, Did Alexander Graham Bell Do More Harm Than Good?
- Retro Report Presents: How an Abstinence Pledge in the ’90s Shamed a Generation of Evangelicals