England Weighs Its Own Anthem to Rival ‘God Save the Queen’Breaking News
tags: England, God Save the Queen
For two centuries the national anthem here has been a somber plea for the monarch’s longevity, and “God Save the Queen” is routinely sung as England’s sports teams line up for international matches.
But now the anthem, and not just the sovereign, may be in need of saving.
On Wednesday, lawmakers agreed to debate in March a bill that, while not scrapping “God Save the Queen,” would create another anthem to be played before England’s teams take on foreign rivals.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘Irresistible Weapon’: Historians Say American History Oversimplifies Atomic Bombings On Japan
- The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II
- What Europeans Believe about Hiroshima and Nagasaki—and Why it Matters
- The History of the October Surprise (Audio)
- He Predicted Trump’s Win in 2016. Now He’s Ready to Call 2020 (Video)