Destroying Great Mosque of al-Nuri 'is Isis declaring defeat'Breaking News
tags: Mosul, ISIS, Great Mosque of al Nuri
Related Link In Apocalyptic Vandalism, ISIL blows up 800-year-old Nuri Mosque in Mosul By Juan Cole
The Iraqi prime minister, Haider al-Abadi, has said the destruction of the Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul is an admission by the militants that they are losing the fight for the country’s second-largest city.
One of Islam’s most venerated sites, the mosque has been destroyed by explosions as Iraqi forces battled Islamic State fighters who had holed up nearby.
“Daesh’s bombing of the al-Hadba minaret and the al-Nuri mosque is a formal declaration of their defeat,” Abadi said, using the Arabic acronym for Isis.
comments powered by Disqus
- Loretta Lynn, Country Music Star Who Voiced Rural Resilience, Dies at 90
- Corporate America Copied the NFL's "Rooney Rule"—But Also its Lack of Enforcement
- The Fatal Attraction to Florida
- Judge Luttig: Independent State Legislature Theory is Nonsense
- Inuit Greenland Women Demand Answers, Justice in Birth Control Scandal