Destroying Great Mosque of al-Nuri 'is Isis declaring defeat'Breaking News
tags: Mosul, ISIS, Great Mosque of al Nuri
Related Link In Apocalyptic Vandalism, ISIL blows up 800-year-old Nuri Mosque in Mosul By Juan Cole
The Iraqi prime minister, Haider al-Abadi, has said the destruction of the Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul is an admission by the militants that they are losing the fight for the country’s second-largest city.
One of Islam’s most venerated sites, the mosque has been destroyed by explosions as Iraqi forces battled Islamic State fighters who had holed up nearby.
“Daesh’s bombing of the al-Hadba minaret and the al-Nuri mosque is a formal declaration of their defeat,” Abadi said, using the Arabic acronym for Isis.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Danger Of Depoliticising Black Power Activism
- Trump Wants $5 Billion From TikTok Deal for History Project
- Donald Trump vs. the Ivy League: An Election-Year Battle
- How Jimi Hendrix, Racism and Grunge Intersect, 50 Years after the Guitarist’s Death
- Conservatives Are Already Whitewashing the Trump Years
- Capitalism Isn't Working Anymore. Here's How The Pandemic Could Change It Forever
- How the Black Vote Became a Monolith
- Dive Into John F. Kennedy’s Daily CIA Updates
- “Nationalism Will Run Roughshod Over Democracy”: What Can Nazi Germany Tell Us About Trump’s GOP? (Podcast)
- Stephen F. Cohen, Influential Historian of Russia, Dies at 81