U.S. Plans to Send First Aircraft Carrier to Vietnam Since War’s EndBreaking News
tags: Vietnam, Vietnam War
The United States plans to send an aircraft carrier to dock in Vietnam, officials from both nations said on Thursday, a telling sign of Washington’s warming relations with a country that was once battered by American bombs.
The proposed visit to the port of Danang comes amid heightened tensions over China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea, including to islands claimed by Vietnam. The Defense Ministry of Vietnam announced the port call while the American defense secretary, Jim Mattis, was in Hanoi.
Danang was where the first conventional American combat unit was deployed in the Vietnam War, landing on a beach there in 1965. Hundreds of thousands more troops were to follow.
comments powered by Disqus
- Navy Submarine, Missing for 75 Years, Is Found Off Okinawa
- The Battle Between NBC and CBS To Be the First To Film a Berlin Wall Tunnel Escape
- Battlefields around the world are finding new purpose as parks and refuges
- See the Mississippi River's hidden history, uncovered by lasers
- DeepMind AI Beats Human Historians at Deciphering Ancient Texts