U.S. Satisfaction With the Government Remains LowBreaking News
More than one year into Donald Trump's presidency, Americans' satisfaction with their national government shows no signs of improving. About a third of U.S. adults (34%) say they are "very" or "somewhat" satisfied with the size and power of the federal government, down six percentage points from 2017 but on par with most readings since 2011. Thirty-eight percent of Americans are satisfied with "our system of government and how well it works," essentially unchanged from 2017 and much lower than it was between 2001 and 2008.
Satisfaction with both the U.S. political system and the size and power of the federal government has remained at historically low levels since 2011. This period has been marked by widespread public disenchantment with the federal government.
Public satisfaction was notably higher from 2001-2007, particularly concerning the U.S. system of government and how well it works. In January 2001, only weeks after the Supreme Court effectively determined the outcome of the closest presidential election in the nation's history, 68% of U.S. adults said they were satisfied with their system of government. A slightly lower percentage of Americans, 50%, were satisfied with the size and power of the federal government at that time.
comments powered by Disqus
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History