Illinois Senate plan would include LGBT history in schoolsBreaking News
tags: education, gay history, LGBT
Illinois senators advanced a plan requiring public schools to teach a unit on the role and societal contributions of gays, lesbians and other LGBT individuals.
The Senate Education committee endorsed the measure 8-2 Tuesday. If enacted, Illinois would become just the second state to approve an LGBT inclusive curriculum.
"People learn about Jane Addams, for example, but don't know she's a lesbian," said Brian Johnson, CEO of the LGBT organization Equality Illinois. "We don't think there is true justice for the LGBT community unless we can learn about our history."
comments powered by Disqus
- Leading Expert on Housing Discrimination Suing Appraisers for Discrimination
- A Century After the Elaine Massacre, Black Farmers in Arkansas Demand Justice
- American Democracy Wasn't Built to be Democratic
- VP Menon, the Civil Servant who Held India Together
- Nicole Hemmer on Alex Jones and the Right-Wing Media Machine