Silent Sam Was Toppled. Yet He Still Looms Over Campus.Breaking News
tags: University of North Carolina, Confederate Monuments, Silent Sam
The gash in the earth here has turned into sacred ground.
It’s the spot where Silent Sam, the University of North Carolina’s Confederate monument, came crashing down last week in a stunning protest, leaving a 4-inch-deep, 2-foot-wide crater in the mound of dirt.
The hole in the ground has become a crowd favorite: Small children pose for photos standing in it. Friends recount the story of how it got here. Some students tiptoe around it, a sign of reverence.
comments powered by Disqus
- Chicago-Area Leaders Call for Illinois to Halt History Classes Until Curriculum is Updated
- John Hume, Nobel Laureate for Work in Northern Ireland, Dies at 83
- Statue of White Woman Holding Hatchet and Scalps Sparks Backlash in New England
- 'We Always Knew What It Stood For': Small Texas Town Torn Over Its Confederate Statue
- UNC Tenured Faculty Tell Students to Stay Home Amid COVID Concerns: 'It Is Not Safe for You to Come to Campus'