Seattle history teacher targeted by Alex Jones and trolls for lambasting YouTuber PewDiePie for antisemitismHistorians in the News
tags: antisemitism, Alex Jones
Seattle police responded Tuesday to Hamilton International Middle School as an incident at the school blew up on right wing social media.
It all started with some posters put up around the school.
The posters asked people to subscribe to a YouTube channel run by a guy who lost his contract with Disney for putting anti-Semitic and Nazi imagery in his videos (this NPR story has more information about him). The YouTuber has claimed he was misunderstood.
A history teacher at the school told his students that when they put up posters like that, they’re promoting what the YouTuber stands for.
As the teacher was talking, a student secretly recorded the lecture and posted it online. Postings of the video got 89,000 retweets and drew the attention of InfoWars, the website where Alex Jones, the popular, right-wing conspiracy theorist, promoted the PizzaGate conspiracy theory.
comments powered by Disqus
- A girl named Greta and the seriously sexist history of Time’s Person of the Year
- Poll: Majority of Democrats think Obama was better president than Washington
- Civil War Soldiers Used Hair Dye to Make Themselves Look Better in Pictures, Archaeologists Discover
- Monumental statue of black man defies Confederate monuments
- From Consensus To Deadlock: Is Impeachment Still A Check On Presidents?
- Black Scholars Respond to Dr. Lorgia García Peña Tenure Denial at Harvard
- Historians Kirsten Weld and Erik Baker Interviewed About Harvard Graduate Worker Strike in Chronicle of Higher Education
- Kate Shaw: Andrew Johnson Was Impeached for Being a Racist Demagogue
- Bullets That Killed John F. Kennedy Immortalized as Digital Replicas by Smithsonian
- 37 books for history lovers: 11 Historians Select Their Favorite Books of 2019