A World War I Documentary Becomes ‘Event Cinema’Breaking News
tags: World War I, movies, popular history, Cinema
Innovative filmmaking, strong reviews and a strategic ground campaign in theaters has helped a documentary film about World War I win some box-office glory among big-budget blockbusters and Oscars contenders.
“They Shall Not Grow Old” was made with archival film footage, which director Peter Jackson (“The Lord of the Rings”) restored, colorized and transformed with 3-D techniques. It hit theaters in stages, beginning in December with a series of one-night showings around North America, a release method more common for live operas, concert films and rereleased classics like “The Wizard of Oz.”
By the third of those weekday showings, in January, the R-rated “They Shall Not Grow Old” had grossed $8.3 million, breaking the box-office record for such “event cinema” releases.
“We got many, not a few, emails from prospective customers who wanted to get in but the movie was sold out. We just don’t hear from audience members like that,” says Jeff Goldstein, president of domestic distribution for Warner Bros. Pictures.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of