God once opposed interracial marriage, tooRoundup
tags: Church, religious history, LGBTQ, Methodist
Jonathan Zimmerman teaches education and history at the University of Pennsylvania. He is the author of “Too Hot to Handle: A Global History of Sex Education” (Princeton University Press).
In 1956, the white daughter of a Methodist minister was pushed out of her Methodist college for dating a black man. Margaret Sabin was summoned to the dean’s office at Nebraska Wesleyan University, where officials told Sabin that she had two choices: stop seeing Bill Thrasher, her new African-American boyfriend, or leave the university.
comments powered by Disqus
- Russian Police Detain History Professor After Protest
- Why We Keep Reinventing Abraham Lincoln
- Four Principles to Guide Us on Whose Statues Should Topple and Whose Should Remain
- History Professor Describes His Experience With COVID-19, Teaching In Historic Times
- 52 Years Ago, Thelonious Monk Played a High School. Now Everyone Can Hear It.