‘Don’t they know Columbus never landed in America?’: Third-graders found error in their workbook. Here’s what they did about it.Historians in the News
tags: education, Christopher Columbus, text books
Third-grade students at a school in New York were using a workbook created by an international publishing company when they noticed that it had incorrect information about Christopher Columbus.
The Math in Focus workbook said in a math problem that Columbus landed in America in 1492. The students at Valleyview Elementary School in Oneonta knew that wasn’t true — and they wanted the publisher to fix the error.
It took months — and an online petition, in which the students wrote, “We think they are ignoring us because we are kids” — but the students won.
Historians say that Columbus never set foot on the North American continent, although he did explore the coasts of South and North America. He also landed on several Caribbean islands now called the Bahamas, as well as on an island now known as Hispaniola. Historians also think the Norse explorer Leif Erickson reached Canada as many as 500 years before Columbus was even born.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of