November 30, 2019
Trump beats out Lincoln as better president, majority of Republicans say in new pollBreaking News
tags: Lincoln, Trump, polling
President Trump was rated above Abraham Lincoln by a majority of Republicans surveyed in a recent poll conducted by The Economist and YouGov.
Conducted between Sunday and Tuesday this week, the survey asked a random sample of 1,500 adults several questions about Mr. Trump as part of a weekly tracking poll.
Among the questions asked of respondents was to consider both Mr. Trump and Lincoln and answer, “Which Republican president was better?”
Three-quarters of all people surveyed picked Lincoln as the better president, but most Republicans answered otherwise: Among respondents identified as Republicans, 53% chose Mr. Trump as the better president and 47% named Lincoln.
Elsewhere in the latest survey respondents were given the names of several Republican presidents and asked to rank them on a scale of one to eight, with one being “best” and eight being “worst.” Nearly one-third of Republicans surveyed – 32% – ranked Mr. Trump as the best, compared to 29% who picked Lincoln and 27% who chose former president Ronald Reagan.
Asked to decide which president was better, Trump or Reagan, 41% of Republicans surveyed picked the current officeholder. The majority – 59% – answered Reagan.
Mr. Trump has previously compared himself to both Lincoln and Reagan while boasting about his support among fellow Republicans.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘Lock me up’: The last man to be arrested for defying Congress during an investigation
- Faith made Harriet Tubman fearless as she rescued slaves
- A Turkish dam is about to flood one of the oldest continuously settled places on Earth
- Soldiers got Medals of Honor for massacring Native Americans. This bill would take them away.
- UNC Will Give Silent Sam to a Confederate Group — Along With a $2.5-Million Trust