U.S. Labels Russian White Supremacist Group as Global TerroristBreaking News
tags: terrorism, White supremacists, Law Enforcement
WASHINGTON—The Trump administration branded a Russian white supremacist group and its top members as global terrorists on Monday, making use of a tool normally used to target radical Islamist groups overseas.
The designation named the Russian Imperial Movement, or RIM, a Russia-based organization with ties to European and U.S.-based white supremacists, as special designated global terrorists. the State Department said. Three senior RIM members were also designated.
The State Department said the designation aimed to curb a global rise in attacks linked to white supremacists who target religious and ethnic minority groups. It was the first time a white supremacist group has been designated as a SDGT, it said in a statement.
“This group has innocent blood on its hands,” top U.S. counterterrorism envoy Nathan Sales told reporters on Monday, linking RIM to terrorist incidents in Sweden.
comments powered by Disqus
- Lessons That Can Be Learned From Operation 'Denver,' the KGB’s Massive AIDS Disinformation Campaign
- Reopening too Soon: Lessons from the Deadly Second Wave of the 1918 Flu Pandemic
- ‘This Invokes a History of Terror’: Central Park Incident Between White Woman and Black Man is Part of a Fraught Legacy
- The Overlooked Black History of Memorial Day
- Kenneth Pomeranz wins 2021 Toynbee Prize