NAACP Houston Condemns City Council Member Over Rosa Parks ReferenceBreaking News
tags: civil rights, Rosa Parks, Houston, coronavirus, social distancing
HOUSTON – The Houston branch of the NAACP condemned comments made by a Houston city councilor, which compared the violation of social distancing orders to civil rights icon Rosa Parks.
Councilman Michael Kubosh made the comments Friday while addressing reporters outside Federal American Grill in Hedwig Village. The restaurant’s owner reopened the dining room Friday, following weeks of curbside-to-go, in an attempt to follow social distancing requirements established by Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo.
“Sometimes civil disobedience is required to move things forward, so that’s why we remember Rosa Parks,” Kubosh said April 24.
Kubosh suggested business owners’ economic plight brought on by Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo’s social distancing requirements in the fight against COVID-19, and resistance to it was akin to Parks’ battle for equal rights. Parks’ refusal to stand on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama, sparked the beginning of what became the Civil Rights movement of the late 1950s and 60s.
Kubosh’s comments aired April 24 during KPRC 2 News at 10 Friday. James Douglas, president, NAACP Houston Branch happened to be watching.
“I was blown away because I couldn’t understand how anyone could make that comparison,” Douglas said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Supreme Court Justices Show How They Might Help Him in Contested Election
- Two Visions of the Suburbs Are on the Ballot. Both Are Myths
- FBI Won’t Deliver Report on White-Supremacist Terror Threat Until After Election
- VMI Superintendent Steps Down Amid Allegations Of 'Structural Racism'
- Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other Genocides
- How Democrats Can Learn Hardball From the Republicans of 1861
- When a Kidnapping Ring Targeted New York’s Black Children (Review)
- To Understand The Spectacle Of Presidential Debates, Look Back To 1960, Says Harvard Historian
- If only Richard Nixon had Listened to Jackie Robinson — The GOP Might be Doing Better than Trump Today
- "Time's Monster" by Priya Satia Review – Living in the Past