Zoom Webinar: Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor Discusses "Race for Profit," May 19, 4:30 PM CDTHistorians in the News
tags: unions, racism, books, segregation, African American history, housing, Lectures
CTU President Jesse Sharkey will moderate this book talk on Race For Profit: How Banks and the Real Estate Industry Undermined Black Homeownership (UNC Press) by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor. The event is sponsored by the CTU Housing Committee and the CTU Human Rights Committee.
Race for Profit exposes the dire impact on African Americans resulting from the 1968 changes to federal housing policy in response to urban rebellions. Also on the agenda: how to fight for the housing needs of students and their families during COVID-19.
High School teachers are welcome to invite students and use it as a remote learning session. The Housing Committee can share curricular resources if teachers want to introduce housing issues to their students.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ibram X. Kendi: 100 Most Influential of 2020
- Allegations of Racism have Marked Trump’s Presidency and Become Key Issue as Election Nears
- Capitalism Isn't Working Anymore. Here's How The Pandemic Could Change It Forever
- How the Black Vote Became a Monolith
- Dive Into John F. Kennedy’s Daily CIA Updates