UK refuge for Basque war children
Even before they arrived there was controversy about the operation, as many people believed such an act would contravene the UK's stance of non-intervention in the war.
However, after the destruction of Guernica by German bombers, there were increasing fears for the safety of the civilian population in nearby Bilbao.
The children were cared for by a massive mobilisation of voluntary effort. It was while helping to look after a group of them at a colony in Oxfordshire that the mother and father of former Conservative MP Michael Portillo first met. Mr Portillo senior was among those who had fled from Spain.
The story of The Basque Children was scheduled to be told by Michael Portillo on BBC Radio 4 at 20:00 GMT on 7 November.
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years