Sen. Marsha Blackburn Gets Schooled After Botching Constitutional HistoryBreaking News
tags: US Senate, Marsha Blackburn
Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) tried to cite the U.S. Constitution on Twitter on Wednesday.
It didn’t go well.
Just one problem: The iconic line appears nowhere in the U.S. Constitution. As most students learn in fifth-grade social studies, it’s in the Declaration of Independence.
Blackburn has something of a history of constitutional screwups. Last year, she vowed: “We will never rewrite the Constitution of the United States,” seemingly ignoring the 27 times it’s been amended. Blackburn even co-sponsored resolutions in support of three potential amendments.
Her latest tweet caused the Declaration of Independence to trend on Twitter as her critics took her to school for botching basic American history:
Shamefully, this US Senator doesn’t know her American history…The DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE “declares” our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness…NOT the Constitution. https://t.co/EuVAfy6JnN— Gene Simmons (@genesimmons) March 24, 2022
comments powered by Disqus
- Leading Expert on Housing Discrimination Suing Appraisers for Discrimination
- A Century After the Elaine Massacre, Black Farmers in Arkansas Demand Justice
- American Democracy Wasn't Built to be Democratic
- VP Menon, the Civil Servant who Held India Together
- Nicole Hemmer on Alex Jones and the Right-Wing Media Machine