Ohio journos pooh-pooh Kennedy's "Election Stolen?" piece
comments powered by Disqus
Alonzo Hamby - 6/16/2006
Conspiracy theorists for a year and a half now have attempted to construct a convincing story to the effect that the sinister Kenneth Blackwell (Ohio Secretary of State and Republican nominee for Governor in 2006) robbed Kerry.
In fact, however, Ohio elections are run by 88 separate county election boards. By law, each board must consist of equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats. No one who knows Ohio politics believes that a massive number of stupid or dishonest Democrats lent themselves to a plot to beat Kerry.
In addition to the people cited in this story, Joe Hallet, a liberal Democrat who writes on state politics for the Columbus Dispatch, made these points in a story a couple of weeks ago.
I've lived in Ohio for forty years. Its elections are as clean as any in the country.
Are they perfectly managed every year in every county? Of course not. But that's a different matter.
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”