Mayor brings back town crier to protest suspension of local paper (Budapest)
Tamas Derce, the mayor of Ujpest, told Reuters Thursday he is reviving the medieval tradition in protest against the decision of the Socialist-liberal majority in his town hall to silence the local media.
"I will hire someone who will stand with a drum at busy junctions of the district, and another one with a loudspeaker," Derce said. The town criers will keep working until the councilors reverse their decision, he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions