Mayor brings back town crier to protest suspension of local paper (Budapest)
Tamas Derce, the mayor of Ujpest, told Reuters Thursday he is reviving the medieval tradition in protest against the decision of the Socialist-liberal majority in his town hall to silence the local media.
"I will hire someone who will stand with a drum at busy junctions of the district, and another one with a loudspeaker," Derce said. The town criers will keep working until the councilors reverse their decision, he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!