Mayor brings back town crier to protest suspension of local paper (Budapest)
The independent mayor of a Budapest district whose councilors have suspended the local paper and TV station saying they are biased, is hitting back by employing town criers to call out the news.
Tamas Derce, the mayor of Ujpest, told Reuters Thursday he is reviving the medieval tradition in protest against the decision of the Socialist-liberal majority in his town hall to silence the local media.
"I will hire someone who will stand with a drum at busy junctions of the
district, and another one with a loudspeaker," Derce said. The town criers
will keep working until the councilors reverse their decision, he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch