Mayor brings back town crier to protest suspension of local paper (Budapest)
The independent mayor of a Budapest district whose councilors have suspended the local paper and TV station saying they are biased, is hitting back by employing town criers to call out the news.
Tamas Derce, the mayor of Ujpest, told Reuters Thursday he is reviving the medieval tradition in protest against the decision of the Socialist-liberal majority in his town hall to silence the local media.
"I will hire someone who will stand with a drum at busy junctions of the
district, and another one with a loudspeaker," Derce said. The town criers
will keep working until the councilors reverse their decision, he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."