WWI poet's discarded medal is found, will be auctioned
Or so it was widely thought, until the long-lost gallantry award turned up in a chest in his son’s attic in the Isle of Mull last summer.
The officer known as ''Mad Jack'' for his near-suicidal feats of daring had instead thrown the dress ribbon into the river. The medal itself will now be auctioned at Christie’s in London on June 6, where it is expected to fetch up to £25,000, about 200 times the value of an average First World War Military Cross (MC).
Thomas Venning, director of the book and mansucript department at Christie’s,...[said,]
''Around the time that he threw the ribbon into the Mersey, Robert Graves was helping to persuade Sassoon’s colonel not to court-martial him. The Army sent him to Craiglockhart Hospital to be treated for shellshock, where he met Wilfred Owen.'' [The award-winning Regeneration trilogy by novelist Pat Barker is based on Sassoon, Owen, and the military psychiatrist W.H.R. Rivers.]...
[The poet died in 1967. A stepson of Sassoon's only child,] who is selling the medal on behalf of the family, said yesterday: ''I had no idea it even existed. Like most people, I thought it had been thrown into the Mersey.
''I found it while clearing out the attic of the family property on Mull. Bizarrely, it was in a treasure chest, like a pirates’ chest, covered in cobwebs and long-dead insects. The ID tag was there too, along with the revolver in an old Jiffy bag and some poetry medals.''
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”
- History wars are raging in East Asia
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?