Amistad ship retraces slave route
The Freedom Schooner Amistad will set sail from the US east coast and stop in Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.
In 1839, 53 slaves mutinied on board the Amistad. They were captured, but won freedom in a historic legal battle.
The story was depicted in the film Amistad directed by Steven Spielberg in 1997.
The replica of the Amistad, whose name in Spanish means "friendship", will set sail on its 16-month trip from New Haven, Connecticut, at 1800 GMT.
comments powered by Disqus
- Neanderthals Died Out 10,000 Years Earlier Than Thought, With Help From Modern Humans
- The Millennials Are Generation Nice
- Lost in Translation: Germany’s Fascination With the American Old West
- Secrets Of Iceberg That Sank The Titanic Revealed In New Study
- Former Nixon Counsel John Dean: Right-Wing Media Impeachment Calls, Watergate Comparisons "Absolutely Silliness"