Amistad ship retraces slave route
The Freedom Schooner Amistad will set sail from the US east coast and stop in Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.
In 1839, 53 slaves mutinied on board the Amistad. They were captured, but won freedom in a historic legal battle.
The story was depicted in the film Amistad directed by Steven Spielberg in 1997.
The replica of the Amistad, whose name in Spanish means "friendship", will set sail on its 16-month trip from New Haven, Connecticut, at 1800 GMT.
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years