Illegal abroad, hate Web sites thrive here
On the Internet, that is.
Hundreds of foreign-language Web sites -- some tied to the Chicago area -- are using U.S. servers to dodge laws abroad that prohibit Holocaust denial or racist and anti-Semitic speech. Run by hosts in the United States, they thrive out of reach of prosecutors in Europe, Canada and elsewhere.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 11/15/2007
Mr. Binstock, You Tube offers people the opportunity to speak out on almost any subject, you twist their rather simple purpose when you suggest they choose sides when something is posted on the site, thereby becoming censors and judges. I bet you would find them agreeable if they posted videos finding fault with George Bush.
Howard Lewis Binstock - 11/14/2007
Unless I misread the article in the Tribune there is one web site that give absolute free reign to hate speech and that's YouTube. The fact of the matter is that YouTube's management has been approached on innumerable occasions by many groups including the German Government and been requested to suspend service to these 'hate mongers'. In my opinion, the fact that YouTube has chosen not to respond to these repeated requests is perhaps very definitively positing their point of view. I would certainly hope that isn't the case; but, what other reason could they conceivably have for maintaining silence on such an august issue?
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in