Survivors detail Suharto-era massacres
It was 1968, and the killings were part of a final offensive by forces under Gen. Suharto to wipe out the communist party and secure his position as leader of Indonesia, now the world's most populous Muslim nation.
"They gunned them down and dumped their bodies in a mass grave dug by other prisoners. I remember the sound of the guns clearly: tat-tat, tat-tat, tat-tat ... over and over again," said Talam, 68, who was later jailed for 10 years after being named a leftist sympathizer.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 2/1/2008
How true your statement is.... However, don't forget that it was the CIA's undercover information gathering which enabled them to hand the names of 'subversives' to Suharto's bully-boys!
Randll Reese Besch - 1/30/2008
Henry Kissinger and Gerald R. Ford among others who trained,armed and were behind the blood thirsty regimes in Indonesia. Innocent blood spilled, but without redress to them by the criminals here. More than shame.
- Neanderthals Died Out 10,000 Years Earlier Than Thought, With Help From Modern Humans
- The Millennials Are Generation Nice
- Lost in Translation: Germany’s Fascination With the American Old West
- Secrets Of Iceberg That Sank The Titanic Revealed In New Study
- Former Nixon Counsel John Dean: Right-Wing Media Impeachment Calls, Watergate Comparisons "Absolutely Silliness"