New addition to Vicksburg battle history





The Crawford Street home in which the Civil War defense of Vicksburg was planned has opened to the public but for the first time as a permanent asset of the National Park Service.

Pemberton's Headquarters, also known as the Willis-Cowan House, remains a work in progress - but will be open on Mondays from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. in June and July.

The home, where Confederate Gen. John C. Pemberton also made the decision to surrender Vicksburg to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in July 1863, was a private home before, during and for many years after the war. It was purchased for federal preservation in 2003 and will be operated by the Vicksburg National Military Park.


comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe to our mailing list