University says sorry to janitor over KKK book
Charles Bantz, chancellor at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, apologized to Keith John Sampson in a letter dated Friday, saying the school is committed to free expression.
"I can candidly say that we regret this situation took place," Bantz wrote.
Sampson's troubles began last year when a co-worker complained after seeing him reading a book titled "Notre Dame vs. the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan."
The book's cover features white-robed Klansmen and burning crosses against a backdrop of Notre Dame's campus. It recounts a 1924 riot between Notre Dame students and the Klan in which the students from the Catholic university prevailed.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 7/22/2008
How Chancellor Bantz goes off half cocked and makes himself into a huge ass to boot! Maybe Bantz was angry that the book was about the KKK losing to the fighting Irish?
The fool needs to be fired for his incompetence forthwith. And told the read the book!
Alonzo L Hamby - 7/19/2008
If Chancellor Bantz were really candid, he would apologize for being an idiot--and for the idiots down the line who started all this.
I used to kid a colleague who had written a book on the KKK in the 1920s--"When are you going to wear your Klan robes to commencement?" Somehow, I failed to get him into trouble.
It coud be worse. This aspiring student of history could have been seen reading a biography of Hitler--with the Fuehrer's Face and a big swastika on the cover!
Read only NICE books!
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in