13 Confederate flags go missing in Middletown
The Confederate flags disappeared from Main Street this fall, along with the retreating Confederate troops.
Thirteen flags, all yanked from their poles in the town center during the Battle of Cedar Creek re-enactment weekend Oct. 18 and 19.
Missing flags in the wake of the annual re-enactment aren’t that uncommon, said Middletown Mayor Ray Steele. In fact, several of the town’s 50 Confederate flags go missing each fall.
“But this is the first time we’ve ever had them stolen to this extent,”
comments powered by Disqus
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- 150 years of medical journals to go online
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies
- Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claims