Gladiators to return to Rome
Gladiators are to return to Rome 2,000 years after they clashed on the blood-soaked sands of the Colosseum.
Umberto Broccoli, the archaeologist in charge of the Colosseum, said that he is planning to bring the gladiatorial clashes of ancient Rome to the modern Italian capital as part of a"serious project" to revive interest in its monuments and museums.
Whereas the gladiators who entertained ancient Roman crowds in the huge
amphitheatre often battled to the death, today's fighters will engage in
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse