Air France crash: mystery of plane disappearances
While the disappearance of Air France flight 447 over the Atlantic is unusual, there have been previous instances of aircraft vanishing during flight:
* In 1936, French aviator Jean Mermoz disappeared along with his Latécoère 300 plane 800 kilometres off the coast of Dakar, Senegal, after sending a short message reporting engine problems. The wreckage was never found.
* US aviator Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared over
the central Pacific Ocean in 1937 while attempting to fly around the
world along the Equator. In her last radio message Earhart, the first
woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean, had reported running out
of fuel. No trace of the two or wreckage was ever found....
comments powered by Disqus
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets