The Culture Wars' New Front: U.S. History Classes in TexasBreaking News
The Texas Board of Education, which recently approved new science standards that made room for creationist critiques of evolution, is revising the state's social studies curriculum. In early recommendations from outside experts appointed by the board, a divide has opened over how central religious theology should be to the teaching of history.
Three reviewers, appointed by social conservatives, have recommended revamping the K-12 curriculum to emphasize the roles of the Bible, the Christian faith and the civic virtue of religion in the study of American history. Two of them want to remove or de-emphasize references to several historical figures who have become liberal icons, such as César Chávez and Thurgood Marshall.
comments powered by Disqus
Douglas Hainline - 3/15/2010
Mankind cannot stand too much reality. There are plenty of historical truths which are anathema to Left and Right alike -- so perhaps history texts should be like those parallel texts you get for learning to read a foreign language. A Leftist page facing a Rightist page. I reckon such a book would be a hundred times more interesting, and likely to be read, than some anodyne watered-down compromise.
Michael Martin - 7/15/2009
These superstitious fascists should be charged with child abuse.
John R. Maass - 7/15/2009
"Rev. Marshall ... preaches that Watergate, the Vietnam War and Hurricane Katrina were God's judgments on the nation's sexual immorality."
Jean-Jacques Barrera - 7/15/2009
"Who controls the past, controls the future; who controls the present, controls the past." The barons in power who stole Texas land learned this Orwelian phrase a long time ago. They are still at it. (it works) there is plenty of ignorance to go around down here 'thanks' to them.
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers