The Culture Wars' New Front: U.S. History Classes in TexasBreaking News
The Texas Board of Education, which recently approved new science standards that made room for creationist critiques of evolution, is revising the state's social studies curriculum. In early recommendations from outside experts appointed by the board, a divide has opened over how central religious theology should be to the teaching of history.
Three reviewers, appointed by social conservatives, have recommended revamping the K-12 curriculum to emphasize the roles of the Bible, the Christian faith and the civic virtue of religion in the study of American history. Two of them want to remove or de-emphasize references to several historical figures who have become liberal icons, such as César Chávez and Thurgood Marshall.
comments powered by Disqus
Douglas Hainline - 3/15/2010
Mankind cannot stand too much reality. There are plenty of historical truths which are anathema to Left and Right alike -- so perhaps history texts should be like those parallel texts you get for learning to read a foreign language. A Leftist page facing a Rightist page. I reckon such a book would be a hundred times more interesting, and likely to be read, than some anodyne watered-down compromise.
Michael Martin - 7/15/2009
These superstitious fascists should be charged with child abuse.
John R. Maass - 7/15/2009
"Rev. Marshall ... preaches that Watergate, the Vietnam War and Hurricane Katrina were God's judgments on the nation's sexual immorality."
Jean-Jacques Barrera - 7/15/2009
"Who controls the past, controls the future; who controls the present, controls the past." The barons in power who stole Texas land learned this Orwelian phrase a long time ago. They are still at it. (it works) there is plenty of ignorance to go around down here 'thanks' to them.
- Oral Histories of Donald Trump's Housing Discrimination Case, the Central Park Five, and More
- A Stolen Letter Written by Alexander Hamilton in 1780 Resurfaces
- ‘It’s art activism’: Charleston artists gather at Calhoun monument, urge its removal
- Chinese Railroad Workers Were Almost Written Out of History. Now They’re Getting Their Due.
- Mayor and ‘Foreign Minister’: How Bernie Sanders Brought the Cold War to Burlington
- The Partisan
- If “living history” role-plays in the classroom can so easily go wrong, why do teachers keep assigning them?
- MIT just cracked open an historic time capsule–here’s what was inside
- Historian Ben Macintyre reveals the gripping story of the KGB agent who saved us from Armageddon in 1983
- Peter Cole's ‘Dockworker Power’ Highlights Transnational Struggles for Justice