Iran views hostage-taking as solution to any crisisBreaking News
In the thirty years since the ayatollahs seized power in Tehran, taking hostages has become a familiar tactic whenever the Islamic regime feels itself under threat. Mr Waite and Mr McCarthy were among dozens of Westerners kidnapped in Lebanon by Iranian-backed militias to force the US and its allies not to interfere in the country's civil war.
More recently Iran's Revolutionary Guards abducted fifteen British military personnel when they were patrolling international waters between Iraq and Iran in April 2007. At the time British forces in southern Iraq were involved in a fierce battle against Iranian-backed militias.
comments powered by Disqus
- Reopening too Soon: Lessons from the Deadly Second Wave of the 1918 Flu Pandemic
- ‘This Invokes a History of Terror’: Central Park Incident Between White Woman and Black Man is Part of a Fraught Legacy
- The Overlooked Black History of Memorial Day
- Kenneth Pomeranz wins 2021 Toynbee Prize
- The Many Faces of the ‘Wine Mom’