by Martin Kramer
As compared with the festivities surrounding the Balfour Declaration centenary, little attention has been paid to the 70th anniversary of the UN vote. This is a missed opportunity.
SOURCE: Mosaic Magazine
by Martin Kramer
The usual answer is Truman—but it could just as easily be Stalin. In fact, thanks to Zionist diplomacy, it was both; and therein lies a lesson for the Jewish state today.
SOURCE: Financial Times
by Simon Schama
“[A]s many Zionists have known and argued, the fulfilment of a national home will turn not just on power but on ethics, in which case the humanity of the other people of the land needs to be respected, too."
The anniversary of the British document is greeted with tributes and demonstrations.
"The issuance of the Balfour Declaration thus marked the beginning of what I would describe as a century long colonial war in Palestine supported by an array of outside powers which continues to this day."
Israeli President Reuven Rivlin reportedly extended the invitation at a meeting with British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson in Jerusalem last week.
SOURCE: Tablet Magazine
Britain’s Parliament Debates the Balfour Declaration, Revealing Divides Over Israel in Contemporary Politics
A discussion of the past serves as a proxy for political differences in the present.
SOURCE: Informed Comment
by Juan Cole
Mahmoud Abbas, president of Palestine, is asking Britain for an apology for its having in 1917 issued the infamous “Balfour Declaration.” He won’t get one.
Speaking at the U.N. General Assembly, Abbas said that the Palestinian people had suffered greatly because of the Balfour Declaration in which Britain said it favored the establishment of a national home for the Jewish people in Palestine but that this should not undermine the rights of others living there.
- 131-Year-Old Confederate Statue Removed From Alexandria Intersection
- All the History I Learned in my Youth Came from the American Girl Doll Books
- Is This the Worst Year in Modern American History?
- Role-Playing Games are Breathing New Life into the History Classroom
- Dallas Awarded $50,000 to Preserve Civil Rights History
- What Is Antifa, the Movement Trump Wants to Declare a Terror Group?
- Confronting the History of a Southern Asylum: An Interview With Mab Segrest
- Nazi or Hero? Historian Looks at the Stories a German Consultant Told of His Father
- History, Right Now: Echoes of 1968, and Other American Years
- Don't Assume There'll be a 'Post-COVID-19 Era' - Historian Niall Ferguson Tells World vs Virus