Vice President Kamala Harris Could Kill the Filibuster Herself
Columnist Hayes Brown looks at Kamala Harris's tiebreaking role in the context of the changing prestige and power of vice presidents from John Adams to Mike Pence.
Kamala Harris and the Modern Vice Presidency
by Richard Moe
Kamala Harris seems poised to exert influence over policy and legislation as vice president. In this sense, she will carry forward the evolution of the office, according to a former vice presidential chief of staff who contributed to the development of the "modern vice presidency."
SOURCE: The Guardian
The Meaning of Kamala Harris: The Woman who will Break New Ground as Vice-President
Kamala Harris will be the first woman and woman of color to hold the vice presidency. Her political past offers a complicated picture of the kinds of policies she's likely to advance in that role.
SOURCE: Washington Post
When Selecting a Vice-Presidential Candidate Became a Spectacle
by Amber Roessner
Jimmy Carter’s campaign staff recognized that the vice presidency had garnered tremendous attention during the 1970s, and not in a good way.
Should the Democratic Presidential Candidates Announce Their VP Picks Now?
by Joel K. Goldstein
History suggests that these well-intended proposals rest on mistaken judgments about the way the vice-presidential selection system now operates, exaggerate the benefits of the proposed reforms, and underestimate the difficulty of implementing those remedies.
Remember When Pence Praised Trump to His Face 14 Times in Under 3 Minutes?
by Joel K. Goldstein
Four decades after it was reinvented by Carter and Mondale, the Office of the Vice Presidency is sinking in status.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"