Is it Deja Vu All Over Again with "Appeasing Dictators," or Time for A New Lens?
by Charles Spicer
Invoking Chamberlain and appeasement is never a particularly useful response to an international crisis. Do the efforts, albeit unsuccessful, of a small group of British diplomatic outsiders to "civilize" leading Nazis, point in a better direction?
Eighty Years On, Chamberlain's Appeasement Policy is Still Debated
by Yoav J. Tenembaum
The evidence suggests that Neville Chamberlain was sincere in his desire but profoundly mistaken about his ability to keep Britain out of war with Germany.
The Death of Appeasement: the 80th Anniversary of the Invasion of Prague
by Yoav J. Tenembaum
March 1939 was the real turning point in international relations. September 1939 was to be the climax.
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
Obama as Chamberlain?
by Bret Stephens
Is this Obama's appeasement moment with Iran?
SOURCE: National Review
Mario Loyola: Lessons of the Anschluss
Mario Loyola is former counsel for foreign and defense policy to the U.S. Senate Republican Policy Committee.Seventy-five years ago this week, Austria and Nazi Germany became united in the Anschluss. Thus, with celebration in the streets, passed the last point in time when Britain and France could have prevented World War II.The disastrous policy of appeasement is often attributed to foolish governments in London and Paris. But the truth is more complicated, and 75 years of hindsight have brought us no closer to understanding it.Simply put, France and Britain demonstrated in 1938 that the democratic system of government has a grave weakness: To a certain extent, it is structurally incapable of defending itself.Because democracy can generate vastly more military power than any other political system ever devised, it can win wars. The problem is that because of the constraints of democratic politics, it can’t always prevent them....
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- US House "Parental Rights" Bill Threatens to Take Book Banning Nationwide
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History