Originally published 07/22/2013
In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, white Southerners lashed out with homicidal rage against their former bondsmen.
Originally published 07/15/2013
Some people undoubtedly choose to wave Confederate flags just to get attention. But what binds people today to yesterday's Confederates is not so much an abhorrence of centralized state power as it is a fear of change.
Originally published 06/25/2013
File photo/HNN staff.
- Olivia Remie Constable, director of the Medieval Institute at Notre Dame since 2009, passes away
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50