Originally published 08/20/2013
BANGOR, Maine — A University of Maine history professor’s left leg has been amputated after what police called a “freak accident” in Passadumkeag over the weekend, according to the chairman of the university’s history department.Professor Nathan Godfried, who specializes in 20th-century American history, was riding his bike along Route 2 Sunday afternoon when a blade from a lawnmower being towed on a trailer struck Godfried’s leg, according to Richard Judd, chairman of UMaine’s history department.Judd said he has been told that Godfried’s left leg has been amputated since the crash. An Eastern Maine Medical Center spokesperson said Monday that Godfried is listed in fair condition.“Nathan’s not up for visitors yet today, so we’re hoping to go see him tomorrow,” Judd said....
- Limbaugh, Citing Ron Radosh, Tries to Blame Max Blumenthal for Kansas Rampage
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original