Letters From An American: June 27, 2020Roundup
tags: Russia, Afghanistan, Donald Trump
Heather Cox Richardson is Professor of History at Boston College and author most recently of How the South Won the Civil War.
Is it possible that intelligence officials knew that Russia was paying militants to target US and allied troops and they chose not to tell the president, vice president, or acting Director of National Intelligence? According to Ned Price, a national security expert who worked at the CIA for eleven years and who left rather than work for Trump, the answer is no. “That’s virtually inconceivable,” he wrote on Twitter. South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham seemed to agree. “Imperative Congress get to the bottom of recent media reports that Russian GRU units have offered to pay the Taliban to kill American soldiers with the goal of pushing America out of the region,” he tweeted.
That was not the only story the administration denied today. Trump also pushed back on the story that the Department of Justice is asking the Supreme Court to kill the Affordable Care Act. “Now that the very expensive, unpopular and unfair Individual Mandate provision has been terminated by us,” he tweeted, “many States & the U.S. are asking the Supreme Court that Obamacare itself be terminate so that it can be replaced with a FAR BETTER AND MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE ALTERNATIVE…. Obamacare is a joke! Deductible is far too high and the overall cost is ridiculous. My Administration has gone out of its way to manage OC much better than previous, but it is still no good. I will ALWAYS PROTECT PEOPLE WITH PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.”
But the administration is in court right now trying to destroy the Affordable Care Act, along with its protection for people with pre-existing conditions. And while Trump ran for president in 2016 on the idea that he would replace the Affordable Care Act with something better, the Republican Party has never offered a replacement bill.
There was a lesser story, too, where what the administration said did not square with what actually happened. Yesterday, Trump tweeted “I was going to go to Bedminster, New Jersey, this weekend, but wanted to stay in Washington, D.C to make sure LAW & ORDER is enforced. The arsonists, anarchists, looters and agitators have been largely stopped….”
Today, Trump spent the day at his golf course in Sterling, Virginia.
comments powered by Disqus
- John Hume, Nobel Laureate for Work in Northern Ireland, Dies at 83
- Statue of White Woman Holding Hatchet and Scalps Sparks Backlash in New England
- 'We Always Knew What It Stood For': Small Texas Town Torn Over Its Confederate Statue
- UNC Tenured Faculty Tell Students to Stay Home Amid COVID Concerns: 'It Is Not Safe for You to Come to Campus'
- Counting Down with #19Suffrage Stories: 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Women Survivors of the Atomic Bombs
- How White Supremacy Infected Christianity and the Republican Party
- Reaganland Is the Riveting Conclusion to a Story That Still Isn’t Over (Review)
- Returning From War, Returning to Racism
- Remembering Our Friend and Colleague, Professor David H. Bensman