Lara Trump Seems To Have Gotten Her Abraham Lincoln Quote From A Meme — And It’s WrongBreaking News
tags: Republican Party, social media, Abraham Lincoln, facebook, misinformation
Lara Trump, daughter-in-law of President Donald Trump and an adviser to his reelection campaign, cited President Abraham Lincoln during her speech at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday night. But she, or whoever wrote her speech, seems to have fallen for a meme rather than history.
“Abraham Lincoln once famously said: ‘America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves,’” said Lara Trump, who is married to Eric Trump, one of the president’s sons.
But Lincoln never said it, famously or otherwise.
Fact-checkers at The New York Times, USA Today and other outlets were quick to point out that while the line was often attributed to Lincoln in Facebook memes, the 16th president never uttered those words.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of