When Trump Hatchet-Man Roy Cohn Sued Martin Luther King for Libel
tags: civil rights,McCarthyism,Martin Luther King Jr.,Roy Cohn
Believe it or not, Roy Cohn, the slimy lawyer who unintentionally helped make “McCarthyism” American for “smear,” once sued Martin Luther King Jr. … for libel.
King died with the suit unresolved. Just three weeks after his assassination, Gilligan v. King furthered the liberalization of our libel standards Donald Trump is now attacking.
Of course, according to mainstream media-mirroring America, a bout pitting America’s smearmeister general, “Citizen Cohn,” against America’s civil rights martyr Dr. King, is as morally lopsided as Donald Trump running against, say, Oprah Winfrey, for president. Yet fair judges took Cohn’s complaint seriously...
comments powered by Disqus
- Will SCOTUS Uphold Claim of Heirs for Return of Pissarro Painting Stolen by Nazis?
- Outcry over Sparse Representation of Jews in Movie History at New Academy Museum in Hollywood
- 60 Minutes Report: Who Betrayed Anne Frank?
- Rev. William Barber II: Voting Rights Not Just a Black Issue
- Manchin and Sinema are Fulfilling John Roberts's Vision
- Kathleen Belew Asked How Historical Subfields Would Approach the Chicken Crossing the Road...
- More Enslaved Africans Came to the Americas Through this Port than Anywhere Else. Why Have so Few Heard of It?
- How one WWII Division Set the Stage for Modern Skiing
- Annette Gordon-Reed: Don't Accept "Cuddly" King Image
- New Book Challenges Civil War Myths in Maryland