Blogs Stone Age Brain | Rick Shenkman Presidents Day – Myths About Those Two Guys, Abe and GeorgeFeb 4, 2022
Presidents Day – Myths About Those Two Guys, Abe and George
tags: Founding Fathers,myths,George Washington,GW,Abe Lincoln
This blog post was written by Rick Shenkman, the founder of George Washington University’s History News Network, and the author of Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics (Basic Books).
Twenty-five years ago, in Myth America, a series on The Learning Channel, I set out to debunk the myths about Abe Lincoln and George Washington. I failed. Here we are in the 21st century and still we get those two presidents wrong.
We think that Washington was cold and aloof. We believe Lincoln was a simple country lawyer.
The truth, as they say, is a little more complicated.
In the hope that maybe I can succeed where I previously failed I am making two of the shows available for viewing.
You can watch the show on Lincoln here and the show on Washington here.
They are 30 minutes in length.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Tina Turner Escaped Abuse and Reclaimed her Name
- The Biden Administration Wants to Undo the Damage of Urban Highways. It Won't be Simple
- AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
- Texas GOP's Ten Commandments School Bill Fails
- Former Alabama Governors: We Regret Overseeing Executions
- Jeff Sharlet on the Intersectional Erotics of Fascism
- Scholars Stage Teach-in on Racism in DeSantis's Back Yard
- Paul Watanabe, Historian and Manzanar Survivor, Makes Sure History Isn't Forgotten
- Massachusetts-Based Historians: Book Bans in Florida Affect Us, Too
- Deborah Lipstadt's Work Abroad as Antisemitism Envoy Complicated by Definitional Dispute