Presidents Day – Myths About Those Two Guys, Abe and George
tags: Founding Fathers,myths,George Washington,GW,Abe Lincoln
This blog post was written by Rick Shenkman, the founder of George Washington University’s History News Network, and the author of Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics (Basic Books).
Twenty-five years ago, in Myth America, a series on The Learning Channel, I set out to debunk the myths about Abe Lincoln and George Washington. I failed. Here we are in the 21st century and still we get those two presidents wrong.
We think that Washington was cold and aloof. We believe Lincoln was a simple country lawyer.
The truth, as they say, is a little more complicated.
In the hope that maybe I can succeed where I previously failed I am making two of the shows available for viewing.
They are 30 minutes in length.
comments powered by Disqus
- United Ireland "Closer Now than it's Ever Been"
- Libraries Do Face Attacks, but Not Like the "Freedom Libraries" of 1964
- The Writer of "The Onion" SCOTUS Brief Takes Parody Seriously
- Religious Colleges on Front Lines of "Critical Race Theory" Battles
- Marfa, TX School to Become National Historic Site Preserving Story of Segregated Mexican Americans