Blogs Stone Age Brain | Rick Shenkman Is the Wild West Responsible for Violence in America? (Video)May 16, 2022
Is the Wild West Responsible for Violence in America? (Video)
tags: guns,violence,Wild West
Scene from Myth America (Wild West episode)
This blog post was written by Rick Shenkman, the founder of George Washington University’s History News Network, and the author of Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics (Basic Books).
This has been a horrible weekend of violence in America. NPR reports that just 19 weeks into the year we've already "seen 198 mass shootings."
Stories in the news feature bodies strewn on urban streets and church parking lots bloodied by gunfire.
Our culture celebrates violence on television, in the movies, and in books.
A guaranteed winner on social media is a post showing a guy shooting someone.
What's the cause of our love afair with guns and violence?
Twenty-five years ago I addressed this question in my TLC series, Myth America.
You can watch the thirty minute episode on the Wild West here to see if it's to blame.
The answer: It is and it isn't.
(You can watch the other shows in the series I've made available so far by clicking on this Twitter thread.)
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of