SOURCE: The Atlantic
For decades, the political idea that social services aimed at supporting parents and children constitute a governmental intrusion on the family has been used to thwart the kinds of supports that parents and children in the rest of the industrial world enjoy.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Laura L. Lovett
Dorothy Pitman Hughes' experience running a community childcare center highlighted not just the needs of working women, but the ways that childcare challenges were connected to all the big issues of the society. If we want a more just society today, Hughes' example and the COVID crisis show us where to look.
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
by Allison K. Lange
Suffragists exploited the ideology of female domesticity to argue that the vote would make women the nation's mothers and housekeepers. COVID-19 has exposed the consequences of this strategy as women are unsupported in meeting obligations for paid and domestic labor.
by Jonathan Zimmerman
We already have a template for it: the original CCC.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Lisa Levenstein
The paucity of policy support for childbirth and care work are the result of a system that still envisions the ideal worker as a man.
by Michael C. C. Adams
This military historian worries we are. The dedication he found in soldiers seems missing in today’s children.
- Documentary on the Last Slave Ship to Arrive in the United States Takes on Questions of Memorializing Racist Violence
- The Underground Network of Ministers and Rabbis Aiding Abortion Access Before Roe
- At its 50th Reunion, La Raza Unida Asks How to Pass the Torch
- US Neglect of Puerto Rico is in the News, but the Main Historical Relationship has been Abuse
- Will SCOTUS Revisit the Second Class Citizenship of American Samoans?
- Sergey Radchenko on Putin's Mobilization Speech
- A Finnish Historian's Ambitious Rethinking of Native American History Draws Praise and Criticism
- National Archives Exhibition Challenges the Meritocratic, Democratic Myths of American Sports
- The Defeat of Identity Politics
- How Ideology Shapes America's View on the World