SOURCE: The Metropole
Early American Urban Protests — A Review Of Boston’s Massacre
A review of Eric Hinderaker's new book "Boston's Massacre" highlights the shifting narrative of the events and their place in the national story, and the perpetually unanswered conflict between limits of authority and those of popular protest.
SOURCE: Phi Delta Kappan
The Silence of the Ellipses: Why History Can’t be about Telling Our Children Lies
by Sam Wineburg
The fairly recent elevation of Crispus Attucks as a hero of the American Revolution obscures the complexity of his role in the Boston Massacre and illustrates the pressure for textbooks to conform to a triumphal American narrative rather than engaging with the complexity of the past.
Paul Revere Made the Boston Massacre a Flashpoint for Revolution.
by Philip Gerard
The incident that became known as the Boston Massacre didn't have to happen, and didn't have to become a flashpoint for violence after. As political tensions break into violence today, it's worthwhile to think about Boston in 1770.
Violence As A Form Of Protest
Professor of Africana Studies Kellie Carter Jackson speaks with WBUR on the relationship between violence and protest; a relationship which goes back to the Boston Massacre.
Why It’s Important to Remember the Way We’ve Remembered the Boston Massacre
by Eric Hinderaker
The people who turned Crispus Attucks into a hero of the Revolution.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"