SOURCE: NY Times
by Margaret O’Mara
A merit-based system for hiring federal employees was created in reaction to the rampant corruption of the Gilded Age.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
by Ronald Radosh
The American right has advanced nutty conspiracy theories for decades. But the one we’re about to see play out will make Joe McCarthy look like an amateur.
When he feared communists were infiltrating America, Larry McDonald took extreme measures — building his own intelligence-gathering arm.
by Julian Zelizer
Trump has done more than anyone else to bring the fringe conspiracy concept of a "deep state" into the mainstream, with the help of his son Donald Jr.
- White Author Reflects On Finding, Bringing Together Descendants Of Enslaved People In His Family (Audio)
- A Milestone for Palestinian Studies
- Paul Seaver, Leading Historian of Early Modern England, Dies at 88
- Trump has Never Even Read a 'Children's Book' about Abraham Lincoln: Douglas Brinkley (Video)
- Taking My Children to See Frederick Douglass