separation of powers
SOURCE: New York Times
How Do We Fix the American Presidency?
Kevin Kruse and Julian Zelizer, along with political scientists William Howell and Terry M. Moe, offer context for growing concerns about the power of the Presidency.
The Headless Horseman: William Barr and the Attorney General in History (Part 1)
by James D. Zirin
Former federal prosecutor James Zirin begins a two-part assessment of William Barr's tenure as Attorney General by explaining how the job was created and how its powers and duties were defined.
The Paradox of Executive Underreach
by Michael A. Genovese
While the Constitution says more about limiting the overreach of the executive branch, functioning government must beware of an underreaching executive that abdicates responsibility.
SOURCE: National Catholic Reporter
Time For The Dems To Earn The Hatred Of The Wealthy And Connected
Democrats might want to make copies of the president's signing statement and mail it to all Americans, highlighting the passages where the president insists there will be no oversight.
SOURCE: Tom Dispatch
“The Right to Do Whatever I Want as President”
by Rebecca Gordon
Impunity Guaranteed for Torturers (and Presidents)
SOURCE: Washington Post
The Senate has a chance to take back power Congress gave up long ago
by Susan Hennessey and Benjamin Wittes
Calling witnesses in Trump’s impeachment trial would revive the habit of investigating the executive branch.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History